Before the middle of the book the concept of dining fades away. Tolkien never writes “dining room” – it is always “dining-room” which also has its own entry as an uncommon word and for the delight of fans of the hyphen.
- 01.002 kitchens, dining-rooms,
- 01.004 (especially after dinner,
- 01.012 Make you late for dinner!
- 02.001 went into the dining-room.
- 02.002 in the kitchen before turning out the dining-room.
- 02.002 in the dining-room by the open window,
- 04.012 in Bilbo’s dining-room that seemed so long ago,
- 07.094 or a dinner,
- 07.095 When dinner was over
- 08.066 all about having a most gorgeous dinner.’