Good old Galion. The word is from Latin through French, the one who is responsible for the bottle – the lord’s cup bearer. The word is first attested around 1300 CE in a little list of members of a household.
- 09.022 Then Bilbo heard the king’s butler
- 09.025 not for the butler’s great flagons.
- 09.026 The butler went on talking
- 09.035 and the butler could be seen
- 09.037 and the butler
- 09.037 and help the butler
- 09.040 the butler?’ said one.
- 09.047 growled the butler.
- 10.040 and the butler.
“butler, n.” OED Online. Oxford University Press, June 2016. Web. 29 June 2016.